Saturday, September 24, 2011

From the 1812 Workshop

Well, Mississinewa is only 2 weeks away! As usual I have put everything off to the last possible minute. At present I am currently shrinking/sizing my emerald green, linen material for my rifle frock in the dryer. To keep from having the whole thing fray away, I stapled the cut ends with #4 Swingline staples (I don't own a sewing machine)! Ironic, but the stapler I am using is from Marion, IN, home of the Mississinewa battlefield, which is where this whole mess began and ultimately will end. Some kind of kharmic 1812 thing?

Outside, my shako hat mold is forming. I had no idea how to proceed with this. I have no shako blank, and to buy one is $$$, which I do not have. Thus, I did the 21st c. thing and looked to the inter-web. I found a YouTube video in which a guy made a hat mold by spraying expanding foam insulation material into a hat, to get the crown shape. I figured, why not do the same for a shako? Thus, I went to Home Depot; found the cardboard post hole tubes (look in the concrete supply area) measured a few and tried them on (you get strange looks from folks when they see a guy puttuing 4' long tubes on his head in the store), And bought one with an 8" diameter. I then cut it down to about 14" tall. I sprayed the interior with no stick cooking spray and shot a whole can of foam gap filler into it. If it works, I will be happy. If it is an "epic fail" as the kids say, I am only out $9.

Other projects: Making my Fort Meigs camp axe fit its handle with a wood rasp and hammer. Going back to Home depot for a cotton drop cloth with which to make my gaiters. Wish me luck!

<< Epic Fail>> The shako block has failed. There was not enough strength to the foam, and the center of the tube was full of liquid sealant. Oh well, I tried!

2 comments:

Brian Carrick said...

To fail gloriously is better than never to have tried!

CraigSpiel said...

Indeed, Brian, indeed! Thanks!